The Shanty Educational Project Limited, operating under the business name An Cosán Virtual Community College (“we” or “us“), is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 and 2003 (the DP Acts), the data controller is Shanty Educational Project Limited with registered number 131383 of Kiltalown Village Centre, Fortunestown Road, Jobstown, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, register for a course, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, gender, nationality, birth date, qualifications, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph, and PPS Number.
If you contact us we may keep a record of that correspondence.
Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, referral source, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page;
- information about your learning experience including competency assessments, personal development information, learning programme assessment scores, learning programme bookmark/completion information;
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use the website, ancosan.ie, or services provided by our sister organisation, An Cosán. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this site. We work closely with third parties (including, for example, educational institutions, community and business partners, sub-contractors in technical and payment services, analytics providers, advertising networks, and search information providers) and may receive information about you from them.
The DP Acts define certain personal information as ‘sensitive’ (racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, criminal proceedings and offences). We may be required to collect, process and keep sensitive personal data in relation to you. This might include information relating to your physical or mental health. We will only collect and process this sensitive personal information with your explicit consent and to provide the services you require or to comply with applicable law, including our obligations under the Equal Status Acts 2000 to 2012.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to contact you in relation to on-line applications;
- for the purposes of registration with us and/or with Institute of Technology Carlow;
- contact you in response to communications you might send us;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to those that you have already registered with or enquired about;
- to send you email alerts and newsletters that you have opted-in to receive by filling in our online forms or contacting us by email or other means;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to help us better design and organise our site and to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to collect data on courses and student learning activity;
- to answer your queries or problems regarding the learning materials and tools within and to support your learning activities;
- to provide forgotten login details;
- to update, where appropriate, your student record with An Cosán Virtual Community College;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may us this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Institute of Technology Carlow for the purposes of registration and delivering and certifying the courses for which you enroll with us or with Institute of Technology Carlow;
- Three Mobile for the purposes of providing our e-Mentoring platform;
- Community partners, such as community centres, details of which are made available here, for the purposes of facilitating your learning experience;
- Registering your details with our payment processing partner, Way 2 Pay;
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you;
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
Except as provided in this privacy statement, we will not provide your information to third parties.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We review these procedures regularly.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will only retain data collected on this site for as long as necessary to fulfil the legal and business functions for which it was collected in the first instance.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
You have the right to request a copy of the personal data comprised in any information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of the personal data we hold about you, please contact us at An Cosan VCC, Versari, 27 Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2 or email@example.com. In order to process your request we may make a charge of €6.35 to cover any associated administrative costs. We may also ask for proof of your ID.
We want to make sure that your personal data is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove personal data you think is inaccurate by contacting us at the above address.
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT
Any changes we may make to our privacy statement in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our privacy statement.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy statement are welcomed and should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.